- 2 Queen Street East, Suite 1500, Toronto, Ontario, M5C 3G5
Law School: Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B.)
School: York University
State/Provincial Admissions: Ontario, 1986
Dennis Tobin, a partner at Blaney McMurtry, combines a unique legal practice in the Corporate/Commercial and Commercial and Retail leasing areas.
In his corporate practice, Dennis is regularly involved in mergers and acquisitions, venture capital transactions, shareholder agreements and disagreements, start ups and providing strategic corporate advice for small, medium and large corporations. Dennis represents a number of overseas companies operating in Canada in their retail and corporate operations.
He represents landlords and tenants and his leasing experience extends to most major retail centres in Canada’s major centres, including Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Dennis’ expertise includes successfully negotiating and drafting retail, commercial and industrial leases.
Articles & Presentations
- “Canada… It’s Hot! A Practical Guide to Retail Leasing in Canada”, National Retail Tenants Association (NRTA) Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida, September 2013.
- “The Evolution of the Corporation: The Public Benefit Corporation”, August 2013.
- “Looking for a Growth or Exit Strategy? Be Alert to Changing Winds in Private Equity“, co-authored with Patrick Gervais, Blaneys on Business, September 2012 and republished in Lexology, September 2012.
- “Canada – Your Next Retail Frontier“, International Business Bulletin, May 2012 and republished in Lexology, May 2012.
- “Risk and Certainty: Negotiating Operating Costs in Retail Leases”, 2012 ICSC Canadian Law Conference.
- “Feeling Insecure-Securing the Covenant in Troubled Times,” 2009 ICSC Canadian Law Conference.
- “Site Plans and Sight Lines – What to look for in Site Plans,” Six-Minute Commercial Leasing Lawyer 2008, Law Society of Upper Canada.
- “Marquee Tenants – Co-tenancy, Signage and Visual Obstructions,” 2007 ICSC Toronto Law Conference.
- “Dealing with Businesses from Beyond the Border,” 2006 ICSC Toronto Law Conference.
Seminars & Events
- International Business Briefing: Legal Compliance When Doing Business in Emerging Markets, the E.U. and U.S.
- Canada: Michigan’s Leading Destination for Global Trade.
- Helping You and Your Clients Do Business in Canada – Kalamazoo.
- Helping You and Your Clients Do Business in Canada – Chicago.