Greg P. Shannon, Q.C., ICD.D., Miller Thomson
Listed in Business/Corporate, Securities and Corporate Finance, Tax
- 700 - 9th Avenue S.W. Suite 3000, Calgary, AB T2P 3V4, Canada
Law School: LL.M., Boston University, 1990
School: J.D., California Western School of Law, San Diego, 1989
School: B.B.A., Simon Fraser University, 1985
State/Provincial Admissions: Alberta (1997), British Columbia (1991), District of Columbia (1991), California (1990)
Greg Shannon is a Corporate Finance and Tax partner in the Calgary office of Miller Thomson. Mr. Shannon is a lawyer in both Canada and in the United States and practices in the areas of taxation, business law, trusts and estates, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, franchise and sports & entertainment law.
Greg was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. After completing his legal training both in the United States and in Canada, he practiced with a tax and securities boutique law firm in Southern California. In 1993, Greg returned to Canada and practiced law in British Columbia until moving to Alberta in 1997.
Greg has extensive involvement in contract negotiations including cross-border ventures; structuring financings for both private and public companies, and off-shore tax planning for corporations and professional athletes. Greg has acted as counsel for various non-profit organizations in British Columbia, Alberta and the United States and for various emerging enterprises. Greg also has experience with IPOs and RTOs on both the TSX, TSX-V and the NASD’s Over-The-Counter Bulletin Board (“OTCBB”). He has immense experience in professional athlete/club contract negotiations including NHL, NFL, CFL and other professional sporting leagues; musical artist management contracts; off-shore tax planning for professional athletes and artists; commercial endorsement and merchandising contracts; television, and sports casting talent legal matters.
Mr. Shannon has acted as counsel for many commercial transactions including, but not limited to:
- special committees of public companies in connection with M&A transactions and CCAA matters;
- acquirors in connection with cross-border acquisitions;
- vendors in connection with cross-border acquisitions;
- Canadian private equity firms in connection with acquisitions and divestitures;
- various limited partnerships dealing in U.S. real estate matters;
- dissident shareholders in respect of TSX Venture listed companies in connection with governance, disclosure and other liability issues;
- various IPOs and RTOs, including CPCs and Qualifying Transactions.
Greg is co-founder of the Calgary Enterprise Forum Society, a non-profit organization that fosters the development, promotion and advancement of high growth and emerging businesses in Calgary and Southern Alberta. He has also lectured at numerous seminars on cross-border tax and estate planning and various corporate finance topics. Finally he an accomplished musician and pianist, and competed in the 2005 Honens Amateur Piano Competition.