Patchen M. Haggerty, Partner at Perkins Colie
Listed in Copyright, Copyright Litigation, Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Litigation, Trade Secrets, Trademark, Trademark Litigation
- 1201 Third Avenue, Suite 4900, Seattle, WA 98101
Law School: Indiana University (2000)
School: Purdue University, BA (1997)
State/Provincial Admissions: Oregon 2001; Washington 2007
Other Admissions: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado; U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington; U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
Trademark law and brand strategist attorney Patchen Haggerty is a partner in the firm’s Trademark & Copyright practice. Patchen manages global trademark portfolios and trademark enforcement programs for market-leading companies. She also guides clients in the protection, development, commercialization, licensing, assignment and sale of intellectual property rights and assets.
Patchen’s recent counsel includes advising companies in managing the risks associated with registration of new Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs). She also assists clients on complex and strategic legal and business matters relating to trademark, trade dress, copyright, trade secret, domain name, IP due diligence, privacy and Internet security. Her experience extends across numerous industry sectors including:
Consumer Products – Cosmetics, Skin Care, Hair Accessories, Outdoor Sports Products
Mobile Application Providers
Online Gaming Companies
In her practice, Patchen regularly manages trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings, concurrent use proceedings and trademark application appeals before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Her background in trademark enforcement matters includes dispute resolution and administrative actions around the world.
Patchen’s transactional experience includes conducting IP due diligence for financings, mergers and acquisitions. She also advises on agreements relating to the development, distribution, licensing and marketing of software, hardware and Internet-based services, and manufacturing, distributor and retail services agreements.
Patchen is ranked as one of the “World’s Leading Trademark Professionals” in the WorldTrademark Review 1000, is recognized as an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine and has been ranked in IP law by Chambers USA. She maintains an active profile as a presenter and author on emerging issues in trademark, copyright and IP legal protections. Patchen has recently addressed such topics as best practices in domain name disputes, guidance on gTLDS and obtaining IP protections for product designs.
- Ranked as one of the World’s Leading Trademark Professionals in the World by Trademark Review 1000 (WTR 1000), 2012 – 2014
- Recognized as an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine in the 2013 IP Handbook
- Ranked as a leading Intellectual Property lawyer by Chambers USA, 2010 – 2011
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Washington Law & Politics, 2009 – 2012
- Washington State Bar, Intellectual Property; Litigation Sections, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Intellectual Property; International Law; Computer & Internet Law Sections, Member
- International Trademark Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property; Science & Technology Law Sections; Forum on Communications Law; Young Lawyers Division, Member
- King County Bar Association, Member
- City Club of Seattle, Member
- Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Seattle (MAMAS), Member